- 1/2 pound bacon (preferably smoked or double smoked), cut into 1 inch slices (omit and replace with 2 tablespoons of oil or butter for vegetarian)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2+ jalapeno peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 1 (~12 ounce) bottle/can ale (gluten free for gluten free)
- 2 cups chicken broth or chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- cayenne to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat and set aside on paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onion, celery and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the butter and let it melt and get all bubbly then sprinkle on the flour and let it cook until it starts to turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ale and broth and deglaze the pan before adding the bacon and then let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the cream, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted without bringing it back to a boil.
- Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste and enjoy.
About this Recipe: