The death of a Worden man last December took place before his home caught on fire.  That’s the finding of the Madison County Coroner’s Office in the death of 45 year old Robert J. Blotevogel, who overdosed before a fire broke out at his apartment in the 300 block Schneider Street.

Authorities were called to the Worden apartment around 7:15am on December 26 of last year, and found the victim’s body in the apartment.  Coroner Steve Nonn believes Blotevogel overdosed on prescription drugs and was dead before the fire started.  There was no indication as to the origin of the fire other than to say that the victim was a known smoker and there was no indication the fire was intentionally set.  The Madison County Sheriff’s Department and the Illinois State Fire Marshall’s Office also investigated the case.


(Copyright WBGZ Radio/