Alan Dunstan addresses boardMaintaining levees in Madison County was the primary subject of discussion for most of the regularly scheduled County Board meeting last night.  Most members were in favor of the 500 year plan which included a PLA , or Project Labor Agreement, which, according to the County Board Chairman Alan Dunstan, exclusively employs union contractors. However, two board members voted against the plan.


Chief Supervisor for the Southwestern Illinois Flood Prevention District Chuck Etwert says the county will be coming up with 35% of the nearly $115 million 500 year plan to expand the 100 year plan that has already been reached.  He says the remaining 65% will be federally funded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Republican County Board member Mick Madison of Bethalto tells The Big Z why he voted against the plan:

Madison expresses how he feels about the support the plan is getting.

Click for Madison's comments Click for Madison's comments

Republican Judy Kuhn was the only other board member who voted against the plan which was passed after a sometimes heated discussion by several of the board members.

Chuck Etwert


Photos by Nick Jay Photography








(Copyright WBGZ Radio / )