A cental Illinois school district and three contractors are now subject to five lawsuits filed over last year's carbon monoxide exposure that led to more than a hundred people being sickened. The suit -- according to Chicago-based Nolan Law Group Spokesperson Tom Ellis -- does seek some financial relief on behalf of some of the victims of the exposure at the North Mac School District's middle school in Girard, but more than anything, seeks answers the district allegedly hasn't given.

Click here for summary

"One of the areas where we have met some objection from the district is information on what was done to repair the problem, and what steps have been taken to prevent it in the future," says Ellis.  "That's one of the things we'll find out."

Ellis says the venting system for the expansion's water heaters was defective which led to the exposure to CO -- which has been known to cause brain and heart problems among others.

"Serious exposure can be caused by smaller appliances," says Ellis.  "But when you're talking about two hot water heaters for an application in a school like this, it's even more substantive."

Illinois lawmakers approved a measure in the wake of the exposure requiring schools to install carbon monoxide detectors.


Attempts to contact North Mac have been unsuccessful.
(Copyright WBGZ / www.AltonDailyNews.com )