An elderly man has died after being rescued from a burning house in the 400 block of Augusta in Alton on Thursday afternoon. Firefighters arrived to find family members telling them that 85-year-old John Ammons Sr. was still inside residence. The tentative cause of death has been listed as smoke inhalation.

He did not suffer any burn injury. Further toxicology testing, including evaluation of carbon monoxide in the blood stream, will be conducted. Fire crews found Ammons in a bedroom and pulled him out through a window before he was taken to St. Anthony's Hospital where he died Friday morning. Several other family members escaped the flames that charred much of the basement. The cause of the blaze remains under investigation. Funeral arrangements for Ammons are being handled by the Cathy Williams and Sons Funeral Home.