Students at Marquette Catholic High School in Alton were out of class for about 30 minutes on Monday following a minor gas leak behind the school.  A construction crew installing a fence around an air conditioning unit accidentally struck a natural gas line, causing a leak and forcing students to move down 4th Street to the Alton Knights of Columbus Hall as a precaution shortly after classes began.

Crews are wrapping up renovation work around the school and a post hole digger hit a marked gas line behind the school and natural gas was detected in the area.  As a precaution, the students were moved to the Alton KC Hall for about a half hour until the gas was shut off and Ameren Illinois crews gave the all clear.   No one was injured and students were back in class just after 9:00am.


(Copyright WBGZ /