Although you may have already turned on the heat, local fire department personnel want to make sure you are guarding against fire hazards. One in seven home fires and one in seven fire deaths involve heating equipment. That’s why it’s so important to be careful with things like space heaters, according to Wood River Fire Department Captain Brendan McKee.
Click here for McKee's comments
McKee recommends getting your furnace serviced once a year, to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning as well. Chimneys and fireplace vents should also be cleaned annually, and nothing flammable should be placed less than three feet away from a heat source in your home.