Alton fire crews responded to a fire at the old Milton School on Milton Road on Sunday, but it could have been much worse.  The fire broke out in a connected warehouse section of the building and thankfully missed the majority of the structure.  Fire crews were able to contain the blaze to the metal warehouse that apparently began as a result of hot embers from a nearby fire pit that were blown onto cardboard boxes.

There was smoke throughout the entire building that had to be cleared out, but the fire damage was limited to the warehouse and was discovered by the building owners just before Noon.   The Alton Fire Department was assisted by crews from East Alton due to the nature of the building and the high winds at the time that could have caused the blaze to spread quickly.  No one was injured.  The building is being used as space for small businesses and artists and the owners, Joel and Meredith Elliott, live on the second floor.  

(Copyright WBGZ Radio/