There's still no official cause for the fire that killed four children at the Lake of the Ozarks last month, but an initial report says investigators are looking at cigarette butts. The Missouri State Fire Marshall’s Office released a report yesterday that focuses on a plastic can used for the butts.
The 87-page report doesn’t assign blame for the fire, but points to the plastic cigarette butt can in a breezeway as a possible ignition point. The report says the fire damage was so extensive it was difficult to determine if the fire started from the can or from wiring at a nearby air conditioning compressor. Four young children, all under the age of 5, died in the fire at the Compass Pointe Condominiums, where family had gathered to celebrate a birthday.