A 74-year old, Alton woman was able to escape a house fire with help from neighbors early Saturday morning. According to a report from the Alton Fire Department, the call was received at 12:13 a.m. When fire fighters arrived on the scene, they found the 1 and 1/2-story house located in the 2440 block of Seminary Road fully engulfed in flames.

The woman's neighbors were able to help her and her two dogs escape from the home through a side door, after finding that the front door was blocked by flames. Officials say that the fire started on the porch and was likely caused by a cigarette the woman had been smoking earlier in the evening. However, no official cause has been released at this time. The woman was taken to a local hospital where she was treated for smoke inhalation and minor injuries and has since been released, there were no other injuries associated with the fire.

(Copyright WBGZ Radio/ www.AltonDailyNews.com)