A fire at an apartment on Washington Avenue in Alton yesterday has displaced several families.  No one was injured in the blaze that apparently began on the stove of one of the apartments.  One apartment was destroyed and three others suffered smoke damage but will be repaired.

The fire broke out around 5:30pm Thursday at the Pine Meadow Court apartments in the 1100 block of Washington Avenue.  Authorities are trying to determine an exact cause, but initial signs point to a grease fire after someone in one apartment left a pan on a stove unattended.  Two adults and four children escaped without injury, with fire crews from Alton and East Alton responding to the scene. 


(Copyright WBGZ Radio/ www.AltonDailyNews.com)