January 12, 2012 – Due to the winter storm, the following warming centers have been set up in Alton, Illinois:
|Alton Square Mall*||Food Court||7 am to 9:30 pm (10 am to 6 pm on Sundays)|
|Salvation Army||525 Alby St.||8 am to 4 pm|
Main Street United Methodist Church
|1400 Main||8 am to 4:30 pm|
|Alton Fire Department||333 E. 20th||8 am to 5 pm weekdays (Available for short stays-call 618-463-3568 if emergency)|
The warming center at Alton Square Mall is only available when the Mall is open; the Mall may close if weather conditions warrant closure. Please call 618-465-5502 or 558-3041 to confirm if this warming center is open.
If electricity goes out at your home or place of business, please contact Ameren at 1-800-681-7911. Please do NOT assume that your neighbors or some other party has already contacted Ameren.
Alton Fire Chief Greg Bock would also like to remind residents of the following issues:
- Warming centers do not have medical facilities;
- Use caution while using candles, space heaters etc;
- Check batteries in all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors;
- DO NOT use generators indoors;
- DO NOT run automobiles in attached garages for prolonged periods;
- Call 911 for emergencies;
- Stock up on basic staples at home;
- Listen to weather radios (NOAA) for updates; and
- ALWAYS error on the side of safety
Text @RB to 618-202-4618 to sign up for Text Alerts from RiverBender!