Kurt PrenzlerEDWARDSVILLE — Madison County Chairman Kurt Prenzler says the property tax reform plan released by former Superintendent of Schools Bob Daiber earns an “F” in the basic fundamentals of property taxes.

“When it comes to property taxes,” Prenzler said. “He needs to go back to school.”

Get The Latest News!

Don't miss our top stories and need-to-know news everyday in your inbox.

Prenzler, a certified public accountant, served as county treasurer for six years prior to being elected chairman.

“My opponent’s plan is to wave a magic wand, in an attempt to ‘freeze’ property tax assessments,” Prenzler said. “He can’t do that, and even if he could, it wouldn’t solve the problem.”

Determining the value of the county’s 135,000 parcels is the job of many people in township and county assessment offices. Their results are sent to Springfield for review.

Article continues after sponsor message

“If they lowball property assessments, the state will just add a multiplier to raise it back up,” Prenzler said.

Every year, thousands of taxpayers challenge their assessments, and many receive reductions. Anyone wanting information on how to do this should contact their township assessor or the county assessment office.

“At the end of the day, your tax bill is the result of districts imposing taxes,” Prenzler said. “I’m proud of how we’ve reduced the county’s tax rate.”

In the past five years, the county’s tax rate decreased from $.75 to $.57 per $100 of assessed valuation. During Prenzler’s term as chairman, the county tax levy was lowered from $32.6 to $30.8 million and has remained flat for two years.

County government accounts for less than 8 percent of total property taxes. The remaining 92 percent goes to public schools, community colleges, municipalities, etc.

“There’s simply no free lunch,” Prenzler said. “The solution to property taxes is local districts spending less money and growing the tax base through economic growth.”

Read More:

Jun 13, 2019 | Bob Daiber Announces Bid for Madison County Chairman Jun 13, 2019

Oct 1, 2016 | Sparks fly over endorsement letter Oct 1, 2016

Dec 31, 2018 | Daiber encourages property tax relief grant applications Dec 31, 2018

Aug 20, 2020 | Daiber Re-iterates Call For Bi-Partisan Property Tax Committee and 1-Year Assessment Freeze Aug 20, 2020

RBRadioLaunchGif"Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band - Night Moves" now playing on The Eagle, the Riverbend's only Classic Rock station. Check out Riverbender Radio Today and Listen to Win!