DID YOU KNOW before the advent of bubble lights, string lights and pre-lit trees, real candles were used on the Christmas tree? The candles were lit for short periods of time on Christmas Eve and Day. Can you imagine how dangerous this was and how many homes burned as a result? Homes and buildings being destroyed by fire was quite common in the early 1900s, as fire departments were poorly equipped. Certainly, nothing like our modern fire department that Glen Carbon has today. 

The young man pictured is Glen Carbon resident Arthur Neutzling. He is enjoying his new tricycle that Santa brought the night before. Arthur is dressed in knickers and knee socks, the style circa 1915 for little boys.

Article continues after sponsor message

Get The Latest News!

Don't miss our top stories and need-to-know news everyday in your inbox.

More like this:

3 days ago - Fire Engulfs, Then Destroys Jerseyville Church

Apr 1, 2024 - Community Rallies as Fire Ravages Carlinville Commercial Business

Mar 8, 2024 - OSFM Reminds Illinoisans to Test, Inspect, and Replace Broken or Expired Smoke/CO Alarms

Mar 11, 2024 - Intense Early Morning Fire Strikes South Pence Street Residence

Mar 7, 2024 - Dump Truck Crashes Into Gas Pumps, Causes Damage