1/2 cup corn meal
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup corn starch
8 cooked sausage links, cut in half (makes 16 pieces)
1 container cooking oil (I used 1.5 qts of vegetable oil)
2-3 shish kabob skewers
1. Combine dry ingredients (minus corn starch), and whisk in your buttermilk. Mix well.
2. Heat up your oil in a deep pan (you want a good 3-4 inches of oil, so I used a deeper, smaller-diameter pot)
3. If your sausage links are dry, wet them a little with water. Dredge them in the corn starch and remove excess.
4. Stab 2-3 sausageletts with your skewers (as many as you can hold in the hot oil at one time - I did 2). Then, dip them in the batter, fully coating each one.
5. Quickly submerge each pancake-battered-dog in the hot oil for about 1-2 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat until each piglet-in-a-blanket is cooked. Eat with syrup (that's NOT optional...). That's it!