1/4 cup diced onion
1/4 cup diced carrot
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
24 oz chicken stock
12 oz beer (Your favorite or Sam Adams is full of flavor)
16 oz shredded sharp cheddar
8 oz shredded swiss
16 oz half & half
1 tsp worcestershire
Dash hot sauce (or more to taste)
Puree onions, carrots and celery in processor. Melt butter in 4 quart saucepan and add pureed vegetables. Saute until tender. Add flour and cook for 5 minutes. Add chicken stock and beer; Cook until boiling. Slowly add cheeses and cook until melted. Add half and half, worcestershire and hot sauce. Stir to mix and serve.
To make even more decadent:
• Crumble goat cheese in bowl before adding soup.
• Crumble cooked bacon on top.
• Add cooked sausage. (For Wisonsoners! :)
• Serve with cheesy garlic bread.
Or to tone it down:
• Add 1-2 cups half and half or milk.