Three Alton residents had to be pulled from a home on Belle Street on Monday morning after apparently being overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.  The Alton Fire Department responded to the scene and found two people unconscious, and believe the source of the C-O was a gas-powered generator running in the basement.

The home was undergoing renovations and did not have an occupancy permit.  Fire officials say a man found his girlfriend at the home and took her for treatment after she complained of feeling ill.  When he returned, he discovered a man and woman who were not responsive and called 9-1-1.  Alton firefighters and paramedics removed the two who were then taken to local hospitals for treatment.  Their conditions are unknown.   The home, in the 3200 block of Belle Street, then had to be ventilated after firefighters found very high levels of C-O in the basement where a generator had been in operation.


(Copyright WBGZ Radio/