Alton firefighters responded to a fire at a small house in the 2700 block of Viewland on Monday, and their quick response saved the structure from significant damage. The fire broke out just after 7:30am yesterday when a discarded cigarette apparently ignited a tarp that was covering old tires.
The tarp caught fire fairly quickly and the fire then spread to the back of the home. A 9-1-1 call at 7:40am brought Alton fire crews to the scene who knocked down the flames in a few minutes limiting damage to the rear of the structure. No one was injured and the home was insured.