Following the carbon monoxide poisoning of more than 150 students and staff at a Macoupin County school last year, Illinois lawmakers passed a bill that requires schools to install detectors within 20 feet of equipment that produces carbon monoxide.  The unfunded mandate would have been a burden to some of the smaller schools in the area, but Alton Fire Chief Bernie Sebold tells The Big Z the Alton Fire Department has secured enough money to soften the blow for schools in the city.

Click here for Sebold's comments

That means each school in Alton will have two detectors delivered free of charge - one for the mechanical rooms, and one for the kitchen areas.  The new Illinois law takes effect January 1, 2016.


(Copyright WBGZ / )