No injuries were reported as smoke filled the first two floors of Bethalto Trimpe Middle School Thursday afternoon.  The smoke turned out to be the result of a malfunctioning heating unit in an elevator shaft.  The Bethalto Fire Department was called to the scene just after 12:30pm, and quickly went to two alarms, according to Bethalto Fire Chief Rich Mersinger.

Mersinger comments

Firefighters from Rosewood Heights, East Alton, Holiday Shores and Dorsey assisted Bethalto fire crews in the response.  Students were allowed to leave with their parents after they were accounted for.

(Copyright WBGZ / )