Tony's Restaurant and Lounge on 3rd street in Alton is open for business in large part because of the quick thinking of an employee.  A worker who smelled smoke and called the fire department at around 1:00 Monday morning is getting credit for the fire only burning some of the awning and some wood outside.  The fire apparently started behind a neon sign.

Alton Fire Chief Bernie Sebold says thanks to the quick thinking of employees and the response of his men, the damage was contained to a small area of the building.

Sebold comments

Smoke got into the second floor but the restaurant itself wasn't damaged.  Sebold estimates about $5,000 in damage.

(Copyright WBGZ Radio/ www.AltonDailyNews.com )