A fire a couple of blocks away from the Bethalto Fire Department was extinguished fairly quickly this morning, but at least one family will have to find somewhere else to stay according to the Bethalto Fire Chief.  The fire started in a crawl space at a four-unit apartment building in the 300 block of Mill Street.  Firefighters responded just before 4:30am.



Fire Chief Rich Mersinger tells The Big Z smoke detectors likely saved lives this morning.



Click here for Mersinger's comments



All four families that live there were brought to the village hall community center, where the Red Cross is providing assistance.  Mersinger believes three of the four families will be able to return to their apartments today.



(Copyright WBGZ / www.AltonDailyNews.com )


(Copyright WBGZ Radio/ www.AltonDailyNews.com)