Chicago's mayor reverses course on a potential federal probe into Chicago police practices, while Gov. Bruce Rauner offers him some support.
A day after calling the idea of the U.S. Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division investigating Chicago police "misguided," Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel now says he welcomes a probe into what he calls "systemic issues embedded in" the Chicago Police Department.
Several high-profile Democrats have called for such an investigation, including presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), and Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan.

Click here for summary

But Emanuel says he's only clarifying his remarks, not flip-flopping.
"I was addressing the question as it relates to Laquan McDonald and adding an investigation. I own the confusion and that's why I want to clarify and set the record straight," Emanuel said.
He's referring to an ongoing investigation by the U.S. Attorney's office into the shooting of 17-year-old McDonald by a Chicago police officer last year.
Gov. Bruce Rauner was sitting alongside Emanuel at the opening of Google's new Chicago offices Thursday, and afterward the event, described his reaction to the video of McDonald being killed.
"I cried," Rauner said. "I cried for the young man who was brutally shot. I cried for the thousands of police officers who are honest and hardworking, put themselves in harm's way to serve and protect us, and whose reputation gets damaged by the behavior by a few bad people."
Rauner says Emanuel's support of a DOJ investigation is a positive step, though Rauner isn't shy about questioning why it took 13 months to charge police officer Jason Van Dyke with murder.
"Anybody who sees that video has to reasonably wonder: why would it take so long to prosecute or deal with this?" Rauner said.
When asked about the pressure on Emanuel and Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez to resign due to their handling of this investigation, Rauner said he wouldn't comment. Emanuel himself was asked if there's any way he won't finish out his current four-year term, to which he answered "No," then walked away from reporters.