Each year, more than a million young children in the U.S. swallow or come in contact with a poisonous substance. Many childhood injuries due to unintentional poisoning can be prevented. A child can be accidently poisoned by a number of common substances found in the home, says Dr. Michelle Miner, assistant professor of pediatrics at SIU School of Medicine.

Miner comments

Dr. Miner says because of a young child’s smaller size, the amount of substance is more dangerous in their system than it would be for an older child. Also, children under the age of five are more likely to ingest something they shouldn’t because they are always exploring. The national poison prevention hotline is 800-222-1222. For information about poison prevention, log on to the link provided at this story at AltonDailyNews.com.


(Copyright WBGZ Radio/ www.AltonDailyNews.com )