A lit candle was the cause of a one bedroom fire on the second floor of a duplex in Alton on Sunday afternoon. Authorities say that the tenant of the east half of the building, located at 727 East Sixth Street, left to visit a friend without putting the candle out and that the candle sparked a small fire that quickly spread to the curtains and clothing within the room.

Firefighters arrived on the scene and quickly extinguished the flames before they could spread to the rest of the duplex. The tenant should be able to return to the building on Tuesday as there was no structural damage from the fire. There were also no injuries reported.

(Copyright WBGZ Radio/ www.AltonDailyNews.com)