A Friday morning fire could have been much worse, had it not been for the quick thinking of neighbors.  The blaze on Ervay Street - a one block street behind West Elementary School in Alton - was called in just before 8:00am.  The neighbors are the ones who dialed 911, and pulled the elderly resident to safety after finding her in an enclosed front porch.

The woman told rescuers the fire started on the stove, which Alton Fire Chief Bernie Sebold says is a common cause of house fires.

Sebold comments

Sebold says the woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment after medics treated her at the scene.  He says the house is repairable, but there is a lot of smoke damage.  

(Copyright WBGZ Radio/ www.AltonDailyNews.com )