A careless smoker is believed to have caused a house fire in South Roxana Wednesday afternoon.   Firefighters from several departments responded to the home in the 500 block of Sinclair around 3pm yesterday and found the exterior of the structure on fire, but no fire inside the home.  

Authorities say it appears a teenager was smoking at an upstairs window and placed a cigarette on a windowsill which fell, catching a piece of plastic and cardboard outside the home on fire.  The fire quickly spread to the siding on the rear of the home, but inside the damage was minimal...limited mainly to smoke.  Three people inside the home were able to escape without injury.   Fire crews from South Roxana, Hartford, Roxana and Wood River responded to the call.

Copyright WBGZ Radio/ www.AltonDailyNews.com)