A small home under renovation in the Milton area of Alton caught fire Monday afternoon. Fire crews were able to knock down the flames fairly quickly, but did have to come back and deal with a hot spot at the residence in the 3500 block of Oscar. No one was injured and the fire was apparently caused by faulty electrical wiring.

Fire crews were called by a neighbor who dialed 9-1-1 after seeing smoke coming from the home after 2pm Monday. Authorities say the fire began in the basement and worked its way upstairs around the chimney. After firefighters left the scene, they were called back to put out a hot spot in the attic, where some insulation was still burning. The owner is listed as Chris Scheidt and the estimated cost of the damage is around $10,000.