A family planning a meal on the grill had to instead evacuate their home after a fire began on a gas grill on the deck. Wood River firefighters were called to the scene of the fire in the 500 block of Brushey Grove around 5:15pm Tuesday and found the flames had spread from the grill to the back of the house. No one was injured.

Fire department officials say the fire had spread from the grill to deck and part of the rear of the residence when they arrived, but crews were able to quickly put out the flames and keep it from spreading to the rest of the house. The owner had put potatoes on the grill and went back inside the home, and when they returned found the flames beginning to spread from the grill. Authorities are trying to determine if the fire began at the grill or from the propane tank. In addition to a portion of the deck, and nearby shed was also damaged. Firefighters from Wood River were assisted by crews from East Alton, Roxana and Edwardsville.

(Copyright WBGZ / www.AltonDailyNews.com)