Students at Trimpe Middle School in Bethalto were evacuated from the building for several hours on Thursday due to a gas leak. The leak was discovered around 8:15am when reports of a strong gas odor came from the cafeteria. Students were escorted out of the building as a precaution and eventually taken to nearby Bethalto East Elementary School where they remained through the lunch hour.
Bethalto Fire Fighters and other emergency personnel arrived on the scene and the leak was found in a crawl space in the kitchen. The gas was shut off to the building and the area was vented and students were allowed to return around Noon. It was the second gas leak of the week after Alton Middle School was dismissed early on Monday and closed on Tuesday after a gas line was ruptured on campus.