An apparent electrical fire burned a home in Cottage Hills on Wednesday, resulting in a total loss of the structure. The fire was called out just before 10am at the home in the 1100 block of Lee Avenue. Cottage Hills firefighters were assisted by those from Meadowbrook and Fosterburg Fire Departments in fighting the blaze.
Cottage Hills fire officials say it appears the fire began at an electrical outlet in a bathroom where a space heater and water pipe heating cable were plugged in. Two people, who were not identified, were able to escape the home, although a man was taken to the hospital for a burn to his hand. Two family pets were also rescued.
Serving the areas of Alton, Godfrey, East Alton, Wood River, Roxana, Edwardsville, Jerseyville, Brighton, Bethalto, Grafton, Granite City, Hartford, Highland, Troy, Fairview Heights, Belleville and the surrounding cities.