Alton firefighters responded to a house fire early Monday morning at a home in the 100 block of East Elm Street in Alton.  Three people were able to escape unharmed and the home suffered some fire and smoke damage.   Authorities believe the blaze began in a lower level bedroom and may have been electrical in nature.

A teenage boy awoke to the smell of smoke and then woke up two other people in upstairs bedrooms and they were able to make it outside and call 9-1-1.  Alton activated the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System for assistance from Godfrey firefighters, but the fire was under control by the time they arrived.  Alton fire officials believe the fire began as a result of electrical overload, or possibly with a space heater, but say the damage can be repaired.  


(Copyright WBGZ Radio/