An Alton family is out of their home following a fire on Wednesday afternoon.   The fire broke out after 3pm at the two-story home in the 1300 block of Washington Avenue.  No injuries were reported after two people inside were able to escape without injury. 

Fire crews from Alton and East Alton were called to the scene, as was an ambulance crew that actually used their equipment to assist a cat that had been overcome by smoke.  Alton Fire officials believe the fire began in the dining room or kitchen and that’s where the majority of the damage occurred.  Firefighters were able to save the rest of the structure but a damage estimate was not given.  The American Red Cross is assisting the family of 8 that lived at the home, including six school-aged children.

 

(Copyright WBGZ Radio/ www.AltonDailyNews.com)