Fire crews from Alton and Godfrey responded to an early morning blaze today at an apartment building in Alton.  All occupants were able to escape from the fire in a building in the 600 block of Mather Street, not far from St. Peter's Hardware.  There was heavy damage reported to the second floor where authorities say there were no working smoke detectors.

The fire broke out around 4:00am when authorities say it appears someone who was cooking in a second floor apartment left the stove unattended.  One person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but otherwise there were no injuries.  There are four apartments in the two story building. 


(Copyright WBGZ Radio/