A Godfrey woman and her dog are dead following a house fire in the early Wednesday morning. 48-year-old Linda Kelley, of the first block of East Delmar Avenue, was found in her second floor bedroom by firefighters shortly after 12:30am. She was pronounced dead at St. Anthony's Hospital a short time later.
The house is on the Alton / Godfrey border, and fire crews from both municipalities were dispatched to fight the blaze. While the investigation is not complete, Godfrey Fire Chief John Sowders says the preliminary evidence points to an overloaded electrical circuit.
He says the dense fog may have also played a role in the outcome. Often, he says neighbors will notice smoke and begin looking for the source, but the fog was so thick at the time, he had difficulty distinguishing between the smoke and the fog even after he arrived on the scene. When fire crews got there, he says the first floor was completely involved with flames shooting out of three windows.