A Southern Illinois University Edwardsville student was injured this afternoon by a small chemical reaction in a laboratory in the new Science Building Tuesday afternoon on campus. At around 3p.m. a beaker containing tetrahydrofuran mixed with potassium exploded. The student is a 23-year-old male. He suffered cuts to both hands, was treated, and taken to Anderson Hospital.

A small fire was put out by the student and there was some damage to the lab. SIUE Police and the Edwardsville fire department responded. The building was evacuated, but is expected to be available for classes today.


(Copyright WBGZ Radio / www.AltonDailyNews.com )