The Bethalto Fire Department responded to a call about a smell of smoke at Civic Memorial High School at about 10:30am Friday. Students were evacuated as a precaution while the situation was sized up. At about 10:45am the Fire Department cleared the for reentry by students and staff.

According to a news release from the school district, the smell was due to a faulty belt on one of the rooftop HVAC units of the gymnasium and repairs were addressed immediately following the discovery.

(Copyright WBGZ Radio / )