A child playing with a candle apparently sparked a fire in East Alton. Firefighters responded to a call from a home in the 100 block of East Alton Avenue early Monday morning. Several departments were called in to extinguish the blaze.
Captain Randall Nelson of the EAFD says they got the call at 12:40am yesterday, and went to two alarms almost immediately, bringing in the help of the Wood River Fire Department. He says there was a challenge awaiting them once they got to the house.
The family made it out safely, and no injuries were reported. No neighboring structures were damaged either. Much of the house was damaged, but Nelson is not willing to say it is a complete loss.